7 Powerhouse Benefits of Blueberries
- Blueberries are a Powerhouse POWER FOOD! They have the unique ability to conquer and destroy cancer cells due to their amazing anti-oxidant properties. The American Institute for Cancer Research states that blueberries decrease the free radical damage to DNA that could otherwise lead to cancer. That's a power food that should have a place on everyone's table.
- Powerfood Fact: The "Dusty White Coat" on a blueberry protects it against spoiling and should only be rinsed off just before you pop them in your mouth. Farmer Shannon tells us all about God's natural wax coating that he gave to our power blues to protect them from the elements and helps to keep them fresh for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
- Wild blueberries and cultivated blueberries are both excellent powerful superfoods. NY Times sites a few sources that claim the wild variety are more nutritious but they are both amazing sources of vitamins and fiber, however you'll probably only find the wild ones the frozen section of the grocery store. They are extremely perishable. Try them in a smoothie or on top a salad, you'll love them.
- Blues are a High Fiber fruit, and fiber is a prebiotic that feeds the good bacteria in our gut. Blueberries and squash smoothies should be an awesome treat that makes it into your daily eating plan.
- The powerful punch of anti-oxidants and vitamin C help reduce the symptoms of hypothyroidism and prevent goiters from forming. Blueberries may also reduce the symptoms of fatigue that come with low thyroid.
- Power Blues also add to youthful looking skin, a reduction in total blood cholesterol and aid in weight loss.
- Most importantly, the powerhouse blueberry is DELICIOUS! You can make savory dishes like this main course dish crispy chicken thighs with blueberry sauce. Or go sweet and healthy with this blueberry crumble!
However you choose to add blueberries to your diet, sweet or savory, try to make it a weekly goal of adding them at least 5 times a week. Always have them on hand and when they are in season stock up! They freeze very well and you can enjoy straight from the freezer throughout the year.